Tuesday, April 22

Toji Again

So, now that project one is finished, I still have two more to go. I have to (eventually) talk to my professor about changing my presentation in Issues in Contemporary Japan, then I have to research my new project. I also have to give a three minute speech in Japanese, but I figure after an hour-long presentation, it should be easy to put together a speech in Japanese. I may be screaming on the inside, but I've mastered the art of appearing well-prepared, confident, and knowledgeable. Now I just have to transfer that into my Japanese skills.

And of course, when I could have been doing this last weekend, I inevitably chose to slack off and enjoy being free of what was by far the largest of my projects. Because that's what weekends are for, right? I had entirely too much fun. On Saturday, I went to a Yukata fitting and Bon dancing session. Pictures will be up later on Facebook and (maybe) on the Because it's Japan blog. I got there a little early so I had first choice over the yukata and I chose a lavendar one. In retrospect, I should have chosen something a little darker, but I digress. It was pretty. I was happy. End of story. After being fitted in a yukata, we were allowed to wander around campus in search of pretty pictures and of lunch. The trouble was that wearing a yukata is something like wearing a corset--it forces you to sit up straight, stand up straight, keeps you from breathing, keeps you from eating too much. It also keeps you from being able to walk in long strides. I felt like I was taking baby-steps all day. And yes, I still want a yukata. Despite the fact I couldn't breathe, it was rather comfortable.

Then they taught us very simple bon-dancing. Bon-dancing is the traditional Japanese dance. It doesn't feature a whole lot of movement because you're in a movement-restricting yukata, so the dance deals a lot more with hand-motions and small feet movements. I liked it. I can now do some very simple bon dancing. :)

So, after that, you'd think I'd go home and consider my day over and done with. No. I went to Kyoto. That's right, I went to Kyoto and walked around the Shijo/Sanjo area. I met Krissy there and we had indian food, as is my tradition when I go to Kyoto. I had a pomegranate lassi (I simply MUST learn to make this for myself), and my usual curry and naan. I'm so horribly predictable. Then, we walked to Sanjo, where we found what has officially been titled my absolute favorite store in Kyoto. It's a bookstore in the BAL department store. This store has four stories of a MUJI, a famous store with everything from bikes to notebooks to furnature to clothing, but that's not my favorite part. No, my favorite part is that on top of the MUJI are four more stories of... books. It is simply huge. Imagine a bookstore larger in size than the Fayetteville Public Library. The only trouble was this: we arrived too late. So, I managed to find that they did NOT have the book that I am looking for (they had a slot for it but it was already sold), just in time for them to say "alright, we're closing." I was so disappointed! It is on my list of places to go back to. I need reading for the plane-ride and I have to go buy a few things in Kyoto on my last day in Japan anyway. I might buy some H.G.Wells. Such as, oh, say, War of the Worlds or Time Machine. Or maybe some Ayn Rand. You want to talk about long books? That ought to be enough to last me the 9 hour flight from KIX to LA. But, like I said, they closed before I could decide on a good book for the flight, so I'll just have to go back.

Then, on Monday I kept my promise and went to Toji Temple to buy a friend a kimono. I was a little disappointed this time though. Turns out my freaking awesome kimono was a fluke. I searched the whole area for a kimono that was just as pretty but had no stains. They don't EXIST! At least, not within my price range. The 3000 yen printed patterns were just as stained as the 1000 yen ones. So, I did the only thing I knew to do. I bought a really beautiful, higher quality fabric, but skipped out on the pattern (because they all had noticable stains), and according to my Japanese friend who went with me, since I am buying this kimono for someone closer to my mother's age, I should go with something more subdued. I compromised with my Japanese friend (because I know this friend enjoys color) and went with a very subtle pattern, no stains, bright light green. For an obi, I have something that is a funky shade of purple that looks fantastic with this kimono. Despite the fact this kimono has less of a noticable pattern, I think it's very pretty. Plus, it's higher quality fabric, so it ought to last her longer. AND it has no stains.

As for myself, I bought only two things. First, I bought dried strawberries (a must), and a new pair of flipflops. Did you honestly expect anything else? They've got a wooden base, hand painted with clear gloss on top, and they're purple. I wanted the blue ones but my foot was too big... :( I can't help the fact I have a big foot. It annoys me, especially here in Japan where the average foot size is about a size 6... But I like my new shoes. Purple is just fine with me!

Oh, and I also have a sunburn! It's not a lot (it runs across my face) but I have a sunburn. And no aloe vera in sight. This... could be bad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,

WOW a sunburn....surely they have SOMETHING that would help, if nothing else at least put lotion on it and that should help.

Miss and love you!!

Aunt Mary